Six interesting facts about the car from Back to the future.
1. The name of the car “DeLorean” is the last name of John DeLorean who owned the company that manufactured the car, DeLorean Motor Company.
2. Although DMC is an American company, the DeLorean DMC-12 was manufactured in Northern Ireland due to the fact that Northern Ireland Development Agency offered the company £100 Million toward the development of the car.
3. The DeLorean DMC-12 uses a 2.85-litre V6 engine by Peugeot-Renault-Volvo but it was originally intended to use a Wankel rotary motor.
4. All DeLorean DMC-12’s use a four wheel drive system and were said to handle very well.
5. The DeLorean Motor Company went bankrupt whilst John DeLorean was charged with drug trafficking when the company was already experiencing financial troubles. Even though the charges were dropped, the scandal created bad press for the businessman and it was too late to revive the business’ reputation.
6. After the insolvency of the DeLorean Motor Company, there was an abundance of parts left over from the business, so a Texas-based company acquired the rights to the name DMC and all the parts. The new DMC now sells restored DeLorean DMC 12’s with original vin numbers on them. These cars are available on an order basis to clients.